Monday 11 December 2006

Detrimental

Weird word, detri-mental, de-tri-men-tal. Hm.

Today at lunchtime we discussed sleeping disorders, difficulties to unwind after a long day etc. Seems there is a whole bunch of people waking up in the middle of the night not being able to fall back to sleep again, or simply not being able to fall asleep at all.

I don't, we don't, have this problem so I contributed with my two cents - that I think it's a good idea to get everything involved in your workday "off your chest" as soon as you're home.
I do, rage or just blurb something about whatever it is that has taken up most of my day at work (good or bad) and S does the same. And we sleep like babies when it's bedtime.

But oh my lord. How wrong can you be? I got a big lecture on how men handle stress versus how women do. I learned two things a) it's not the same and b) I may well be destroying my relationship by believing I'm doing S a favor when listening to his "post work ranting"...

Detrimental. That was the word they used. :-D It might be detrimental to my relationship to insist on, or even (god forbid) force S to talk about his day/problems/stress.
According to these very insightful men S need to climb into his "cave" (lounge in front of the TV, use the computer, nap etc) in order to unwind.

Well, I'll have to test this now, won't I?

No comments: