Tuesday 6 September 2011

Ignorance is NOT bliss

I know the symptoms quite well now, after thirty odd years of menstruation. I know them too well. I know all about the periodic bloating, the gathering of water in tissue making me increase one size in clothes for a few days per month. I know all about the mood swings, the illogical dip in self-esteem and the sudden lack of faith in my own abilities and sense of own value.

I know all about cramps. Pains of all kinds of different flavors from the early dull pain to the full on "kick in the midriff" type in the middle and the soreness towards the end.

I know too much about worrying about stains on my clothes from failing pads and tampons. I know quite well how much more toilet paper is spent on cleaning out veritable bloodbaths in the bathroom that time of the month.

I know enough to accept and compensate for most of these symptoms, I know they're for a good reason. All but one.
WHAT IS IT WITH THIS BLOATING THING???

Why on earth would my body repeatedly do that to itself?? I am sure if I understodd why it wouldn't annoy me so much, but now I don't and it does. Annoy me a lot.
This particular area of ignorance is certainly not one that brings me any joy.

No comments: